Following the viral news that Anambra State Association of Town Unions endorsed a certain candidate for the upcoming Gubernatorial Election in Anambra, The Leadership of the Union has released an Official Statement refuting the news.
In a statement jointly signed by the National President Chief Titus Akpudo and the National Secretary Dr.Felix Dozie Nwosu, the statement reads as follows;
*‘LEADERSHIP OF TOWN UNIONS IN ANAMBRA STATE HAVE NOT ENDORSED ANY PARTICULAR CANDIDATE OR ANY OTHER CANDIDATE FOR NOV. 6, 2021 ANAMBRA STATE GOVERNORSHIP ELECTION’*
The attention of the leadership of all the town unions in Anambra State under the aegis of Anambra State Association of Town Unions (ASATU) has been drawn to an online publication by a group not known to ASATU and purportedly led by one Chief Olisa Ezeadi. In the online publication, the group which calls itself “Coalition of Town Unions Leaders (COTUL)” and reportedly comprises 181 town unions was said to have “adopted a particular candidate (Hon. Chukwuma Umeoji) as a sole candidate for the November 6, 2021 governorship poll in Anambra State”.
The leadership of ASATU would not have bothered to join issues with this amorphous group but for the misleading fallacies and lies contained therein which alluded that the said group consists of Presidents General of town unions in the State among others.
For the avoidance of doubt, the leadership of ASATU wish to state as follows:
1. Anambra State Association of Town Unions (ASATU) is the ONLY officially CAC registered and government recognized umbrella body of all the 179 Town Unions in Anambra State. The 25-year old body provides a veritable platform for the elected President General of each of the 179 communities in Anambra State to sit and represent the interest of their communities.
2. The only known representative of the town union in each of the 179 communities in Anambra State is the President General of the town who shall be a member of ASATU ably led by the National President of the association.
3. The records of ASATU show that Chief Olisa Ezeadi is NOT a President General of any community and therefore has NO locus in any form to speak for any community, town Unions or ASATU in the State. Therefore, the purported statement by Chief Olisa Ezeadi didn’t emanate from the leadership of ASATU.
4. We are in a political period and it is obvious that some political players like this amorphous group want to latch on the credibility, popularity and reach of ASATU to score cheap publicity and deceive the unsuspecting general public.
5. It is, therefore, pertinent to make it categorically clear to the general public that ASATU under the leadership of the National President, Chief (Hon.) T. N. Akpudo, Esq did not hold any summit over the weekend at Awka or at any other place with the intention of adopting or endorsing any CANDIDATE or for any other purpose and has not in any way or form adopted any political party or the said candidate mentioned therein as its official candidate for the governorship election. The same goes to any other candidate of other political parties in the State.
6. The said publication is pure handiwork of mischief makers with the aim to cause disaffection in the State. ASATU, therefore, disassociate herself from this said publication.
7. As a community focused body, ASATU at an appropriate time will be ready to mobilize Ndi Anambra to exercise their civic duties because we believe that participation in the electoral process is one of the ways of ensuring good governance.
8. The general public is by this disclaimer requested to totally disregard the said online publication as it is merely a product of faceless popularity seekers.
(9) It is also very pertinent to note that, ASATU is seriously concerned about the ugly tales attending the choice of candidates of the various Political parties in the State, a situation that has not been politically healthy for our beloved State with all its attendant uncertainties.
(10). We hereby advise the political players in the State to be proactive and more civil in pursuit of their political aspirations so as not to reverse the interesting progress already made by the State government.
(11) We also advise Ndi Anambra electorates to pray fervently for God’s intervention and protection at this trial period. May his Will be done.
(12) Lastly, we advise our ASATU members to be good ambassadors of the State and not to allow themselves to be dragged into the current political rumble playing out in the State.
(13) ASATU shall continue to play responsible roles towards the enthronement of true democracy in Anambra State.
*TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE, ANAMBRA STATE GREATER.*
*This DISCLAIMER is issued on the firm mandate, authority and approval of the leadership of all the Town Unions in the State, ASATU*.
Thank you and God bless Anambra State.🙏✅
*CHIEF (HON.) TITUS. N. AKPUDO, ESQ*
Anambra State Association of Town Unions (ASATU).
*DR. DOZIE FELIX NWOSU*
NATIONAL SECRETARY, ASATU.
This Official Statement will put an end to the uncertainty created in the minds of Anambrarians as regards the stand of the Union in the upcoming election which is supposed to be apolitical, as anything short of that will be a huge dent on the capacity of the union.